Common Hesitations to List-Building
So what is it about list-building that keeps you fighting with yourself instead of taking the necessary steps to get the ball rolling?
Let’s consider some of this common roadblocks and hesitations that stops people from taking action towards building an email list and what you can do to break through.
>>> There are so many services out there, I don’t know which service to use.
Here’s the question that’s on everyone’s mind when they start thinking about building an email list:
“Which service should I use?”
You’ve probably wondered yourself, and maybe even spent a few hours (or days, or weeks, or months) researching your options.
Whoa, Nelly! Stop right there…
This is not the first question you want to be asking right now. It’s like putting the cart before the horse, and it’s exactly why so many people who own their own business get stuck when it comes to building their list. They get so caught up in the minutia of what it takes to start building their list that they never get around to doing it.
This is totally the wrong question to start with when it comes to your list-building efforts and it’s a wonder why you are still fighting with yourself about list-building.
The question of knowing which service to use is legit, but making the right decision is based on other factors, so let’s park this question for a moment.
>>> I’m not clear on who I want on my list and how I can best serve them.
This is often the biggest issue I see when working with clients. They don’t know who they serve or who they want to attract to their list so that they can give them great service — and get paid!
Can you see how this will definitely stall your efforts when it comes to building an email list of paying customers? You don’t know who they are!
So whether you want to service business owners, college students, new moms, divorced moms, bloggers, or the youth pastors of local churches, you have to discover who they are and what you can specifically offer so that you can fulfill their need and get paid to do so.
And here’s the deal…, when you discover what that need is, you’ll have two valuable pieces of information to contribute to your list-building:
- You’ll know what opt-in incentive will be a true no-brainer for your ideal client to give you their email address and subscribe to your list?
- You will know how can you use your email list to provide the best value for those who join your list?
Don’t start over-thinking these questions, though. Your opt-in incentive can be as simple as a resource guide or a short how-to video that answers a common question.
You don’t have to go overboard with dozens of downloads and a 100-page eBook.
Though this may seem counter-intuitive, often times rather than providing value, these massive downloads are more likely to overwhelm your readers than to encourage them to learn more.
And when it comes to providing value to the people who have subscribed to your list, keep three things in mind:
- Regular communication with good content is a must (an autoresponder series is your best friend with stuff like this, especially if you’re not good with scheduling email updates).
- Marketing and promotion are second to providing useful information—too much selling will cause your opt-out rates to soar out of control.
- It’s your responsibility as a thought leader, expert and authority in your market to distill and provide the information, tools, and products your targeted audience needs.
>>> I don’t know what my goal is for list-building.
If this is your hesitation, then you’ve got to set a goal so you can move towards it and so you can track your progress.
So simply ask yourself, “How do I want to use the list that I build?”
- Send a weekly or monthly newsletter?
- Create an autoresponder series that delivers content on a pre-determined schedule?
- Use affiliate links as an income generator?
- Promote your own services and products?
- Build a community of like-minded folk and give helpful tips
Bottom line, as a business owner… how do you want to use an email list to #MakeMyCashFlow?
Your answers to these questions will help you determine not only the right service for your list-building needs, but will also determine the path for your ongoing mailing list content, offers, promotions, and long-term growth strategy (not to mention building community with your peeps).
Now it’s time to put away the boxing gloves and let’s talk a few secrets to list-building.